Wednesday, September 9, 2026

October 2025 Book Reports



Persuasion by Jane Austen - I read this with my book club. It was my third time reading it, I think, and I loved it more than ever. Anne is a woman to look up to, one who has faced disappointment and bears it quietly and bravely while responding to the nonsense of her rotten family with kindness. (I received this beautiful box set as a gift many years ago. The designs on the covers wear away if you read them, but I read them anyway.)

General Biology by Heather Ayala and Katie Rogstad - link to my post (purchased set)

Ourselves by Charlotte Mason (Home Education series volume 4) - I finished part I of Ourselves in 2021, and finally finished part II in 2025. In Mater Amabilis, we use parts of Ourselves in the high school Health course and the remainder in the high school Government and Civics courses. The book presents any of Mason's ideas about education and self-control written directly to the student. It is a little forced at times, but can be useful. One note: if you have a child or loved one who is blind, her use of blindness as a metaphor may not fit your loved one's experiences, but it is only appears in one or two places in the book. I bought this first in paperback from Living Book Press, and had some problems with pages coming out. I probably could have contacted the publisher for a refund or another copy, but instead I decided to upgrade and bought the hardcover, which is a great format.  (purchased new from the publisher)

Logic as a Liberal Art by R. E. Houser - My older daughter wanted a logic course, so I asked a colleague of my husband's for a recommendation. I read the book but didn't do all the exercises. My daughter did the ones with answers in the back. Overall, this is a good introduction to logic. It's something a motivated homeschool student can use to study independently, but it is challenging. (used my son's copy from his college class)

I have received nothing in exchange for this post. Links to Amazon and Bookshop are affiliate links.