Tuesday, October 28, 2008

One VeggieTales Story

Me, Myself, and Bob: A True Story About Dreams, God, and Talking Vegetables

We're big fans of VeggieTales here on the Range. First Son became enamored when he was just nine or ten months old. (Back then we watched the videos because we liked them and figured they were better for him than CSI. It's been many years since Kansas Dad or I pulled out a Veggie video for our own enjoyment.) We were always thrilled and amazed to see such quality Christian products from what seemed like a fun and thriving company. So imagine our surprise when we discovered BigIdea was bankrupt! We originally read the story on Phil Vischer's blog and actually bought the book (paid real money!) when it came out.

God did not kill Big Idea. I never for a second blamed God for the collapse of my dream. I dusted the body for fingerprints, and they were all mine. What I wrestled with, instead, was the fact that God could have saved Big Idea Productions. He could have stepped in, erased my mistakes, and kept Bob and Larry in my hands for the sake of the kingdom. I mean, he's God, right? He can do anything. But he didn't.

Later:

What kind of God would do that? That is the question this book is ultimately trying to answer. Beyond all the business implications, beyond the interpersonal dramas and the thrill of seeing something wonderful come to life. I'm really chasing the answer to this question: What kind of God would stand back and watch a dream--a good dream, for ministry and impact---fall apart?

I'm sorry I let this book sit on the bookshelf unread for so long because it's wonderful. Mr. Vischer has a quirky sense of humor that shines through on every page, so it's enjoyable. It's also a true tale of God working today, in business and in real lives. I'm not in business and found many thoughts applicable to my life. I think someone dreaming of starting a business to both glorify God and support a family could benefit greatly from this book when learning to juggle standard business advice and service to God and church.

If you know the VeggieTales videos, you'll enjoy this book even more, but I don't think it's necessary.