Friday, June 26, 2020

American History through Picture Books Over the Years


Like many homeschooling families, we love picture books. So while the requirements for history at the kindergarten level are limited (as in, you really don't need to do anything at all), we have always read picture books either on their own, or in combination with other readings.

For First Son, I put together all of American History in picture books over the course of a single year. For First Daughter, we focused more selectively on the same decades her big brother was studying. Each year, the list changes slightly, adapting to the kids and my goals for the year.

This post is going to pull together the American History through Picture Books posts I've made in the past. If I ever have time to write posts for the others years, I'll come back and add to this list. My guess is that your local library is going to have plenty of these books on hand as well as many wonderful news ones you might find as you search for these.

As a reminder, I am an affiliate with both Bookshop and Amazon. Links to those sites may generate income for me at no additional cost to you.

2009-2010 (First Son in Kindergarten)



2012-2013 (First Daughter in Kindergarten)