Tuesday, July 28, 2009

We Do Crave

I have checked The Food You Crave: Luscious Recipes for a Healthy Life out of the library at least four times. I really must get my own copy.

I made the Pumpkin Pie Muffins yesterday. Have you ever noticed how pumpkin muffin recipes always call for one cup of pumpkin rather than one can (which is something like 1-3/4 cup)? I modified the recipe by using the whole can and then substituting ground flax seed for the canola oil. I think the added pumpkin is just enough moisture to make up for the dryness of the flax seed. I ended up with 16 muffins, instead of 12, and they are moist and delicious!

We've enjoyed so many of the recipes in this cookbook. The Zucchini Parmesan Crisps are one of the best things you could possibly do with zucchini (other than chocolate cake, of course). Kansas Dad said he'd eat the "Dirty" Broccoli again (a miracle since he doesn't like broccoli). The Fish Tacos with Chipotle Cream are the best fish tacos we've ever made at home. Mmmm...fish tacos.

The Maple-Glazed Walnuts are "dangerously delicious" according to Kansas Dad. And the Nutty Granola is our new favorite granola. It tastes even better after sitting overnight in the fridge.

Oh yes, I really must get my own copy of this book!

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review! I'm particularly interested in zucchini crisps, as I have a couple in the fridge destined otherwise for muffins...guess I should chcek it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray, it's posted online! A very similar recipe to one I've made with eggplant. Instead of oil, you use mayo to get the cheese to stick. No breadcrumbs, but I think that would make a nice addition and add some crispiness.

    My eggplant is looking fantastic these days. A week or two and I'll be eating those purple-and-white-swirled beauties!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you try the recipe? I don't think ours uses mayo (since Josh doesn't like it we don't usually have it around).

    I don't think we're growing any eggplant. I'm not sure I like it. You'll have to share your favorite recipes so we can give it a try.

    We're getting poised for an outpouring of squash and tomatoes here. I better figure out how to can tomatoes and quick!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Skip the canning. Do you have a deep freezer? I just make sauce and freezer-bag it. Not the greenest way if you're trying to cut back on plastic bags, but canning tomatoes requires pressure canning equipment and recipes and such that is more complicated than jam (boiling water bath canning).

    Anyway, I made the recipe for eggplant with one I needed to use, only I used mayo to bind a mixture of parm, breadcrumbs, and herb mixture.

    Now I have 3-4 cups of shredded zucchini to deal with, and that's after making 3 doz muffins. I have made zucchini latkes before, yum.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, latkes are good. There's a recipe in How to Cook Everything that we like. I use most of our shredded summer squash in muffins, bread and that chocolate cake I love so much (Whole Grain Baking). I like that you can freeze it (I do in 1, 2, and 3 cup bags) and make those things over the winter.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me happy; thanks for speaking up!