Sunday, August 9, 2009

Kids in Church

Parenting in the Pew: Guiding Your Children into the Joy of Worship by Robbie Castleman

I was lucky enough to receive this book for my last birthday. I may even have mentioned it before. It's a wonderful book about worshiping with our children and viewing our time in church together as a time for teaching them, not only how to behave, but how to love their time with the Lord. I cannot recommend it highly enough to parents. I was thinking about it again recently because I noticed how much more interested First Son is in the service if the readings are familiar to him. When he hears a name he recognizes from a Bible story or a Veggie video, I can see him sit up straighter and focus on the lector or Father.

One of the moms in my homeschool group recommended a daily planner for next year that highlights a few key lessons and vocabulary words from each week's readings in the preceding week. I am so pleased we're going to give it a try because I think a five minute discussion each day in preparation for the mass will help engage him even more...and maybe, just maybe, First Daughter will start to focus a little. (I know, I know, it's probably just wishful thinking, but perhaps by the end of the year, when she's almost four we'll really see a difference.)