Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Music and Book Review: Peter and the Wolf

Have you heard Peter and the Wolf? Prokofiev is not one of our composers for music appreciation this year, but I requested the CD when the book made it to the top of our preview list. I thought First Son might be more interested in them together than in either one separately. We've been listening (and reading) intently for weeks now. (I have only recently discovered the joy that is audio books for our drives in and out of town. The children are generally quiet as they listen at least the first three or four times. It works best if I limit our selections to ones that can be completed at least once in a round trip, though.) I wasn't familiar with the story before, but I enjoyed the performance on this CD. (Kansas Dad was a bit distracted by its implausibility, I think.) Just as important are the tracks after the story which explain a bit about the composition and the composer.

Peter and the Wolf is the book we read. I thought the illustrations were fine, but not really necessary to enjoy the music.

Anyone have other suggestions for audio books or similar CDs for young children?