Thursday, July 15, 2010

Book Review: Home Education

Home Education (Charlotte Mason's Homeschooling Series)Home Education (Charlotte Mason's Homeschooling Series) by Charlotte Mason

I don't really intend to review this book in detail. If you are interested in homeschooling and the Charlotte Mason methods, you'll want to read it yourself. Even if you're not homeschooling, I think parents of young children (under nine) would be interested in reading it. You can even read it online for free here.

I've written a bit about this book on the blog already and originally intended to write more discussions, but then I got pregnant and decided it was enough just to finish reading it. (Which I finally have!!)  You can see what I've written and quoted here. Considering my first post on it was in June 2009, I'm wondering if I should be a little embarrassed at how long it took to read the book. (In my defense, I wanted to underline and make notes in the book, which meant I needed a pencil, a tool that is still a danger when in the hands of Second Daughter as my windowsills can attest, so I had to keep the book in my bedroom where I was usually sleeping, not reading.)

A search online will bring up thousands of hits (maybe tens of thousands) on Charlotte Mason and her philosophy. Personally, I've enjoyed reading what Brandy had to say at Afterthoughts. She just finished reading Home Education herself (for the second time) and was much more coherent and reliable in her updates than I was.