Tuesday, September 28, 2010

The Catholic Company Book Review: A Catholic Woman's Book of Prayers

A Catholic Woman's Book of Prayers by Donna-Marie Cooper O'Boyle

This is a little hardcover book (just a bit bigger than 4" x 6") that is just the right size to tuck in a purse or bag to always have on hand. I think it would be perfect for adoration; it's small and provides lots of different kinds of prayers, for every time in a woman's life.

In the book, prayers are interspersed with quotes from scripture, the saints and the pope.

The variety of prayers and thoughts encouraged me to think not only of my own needs and how much I depend on God, but those of women who may be at a very different time in their lives. There are prayers for women who hope to be married, prayers for women in vocations, prayers for mothers of young children (that would be me) and prayers for mothers whose children have all grown. There are also prayers for children and husbands.

Sometimes it is difficult to put thoughts and desires into words. Having a little book like this can be helpful for someone who wants to pray but isn't certain what to say. I know that God always knows what I need, so the words themselves aren't necessarily important, but I still find it can be difficult to get started. Because prayer is important, this book can help by meeting that need for a beginning.

I have only one real complaint: the prayers are all in italics. I think they can be hard to read, especially in low lighting.

This review was written as part of the Catholic book reviewer program from The Catholic Company. I did not receive any payment for this review, but did receive a free copy of the book. Visit The Catholic Company to find more information on A Catholic Woman's Book of Prayers and be sure to check out their great selection of Mary statues while you are there.