Sunday, September 19, 2010

First Son's Nature Notebook

I haven't actually started nature journals with the kids yet this year. I plan to pick up some unlined moleskin notebooks and start with some bird drawing time at the nature center or the zoo, where the birds are easier to watch, but it'll be a few weeks before we can make it out that way.

First Son, though, decided all on his own to make a few nature drawing from our yard.

Here are a few of our "chicks" which are about three months old now I think. The one on the right has been dubbed Snow White by the kids.


Then he drew some pictures of our "old" chickens, the Buffs.


Then he wondered what else he could draw and I suggested listening. He heard crickets.


Since then (these are from a few weeks ago), he's added to his notebook, but all on his own. I really need to get us going with some real nature study time. We've been spending our Friday afternoons doing other things and will be the next three weeks as well. We have started reading from the delightful The Burgess Bird Book for Children (Four-color Illustrated Edition), and I do mean the illustrated one. It makes all the difference for my crew.

For those who are wondering, I did get up this morning when "6" was still the first number on the clock, but it wasn't my plan. Second Son was making so much noise, just breathing, that I couldn't sleep anymore.