Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Starting Solids

Second Son had his six month check-up yesterday. He was around 75% for height and around 65% for weight. He weighed in at a respectable 18 pounds 5 ounces, but I was surprised because that showed only a two ounce weight gain from his four month appointment. The RN was not worried at all as he seems perfectly healthy and babies often drop some of their "extra" weight around 6 months.

But I was (and am) a bit distraught. I'm concerned my illness over the past few weeks impacted his health and made him lose weight. I thought I was carefully watching him to make sure he was satisfied, but he's always been on the grumpy side and now I suppose it's possible he was a bit hungry and I missed it. Sigh. (How easy it is for mothers to find fault with ourselves no matter what we do!)

As I said, the nurse was unconcerned, but she did think it would be good to start solids soon. I had thought about starting solids a little earlier, but wanted to make sure I was feeling well first. So yesterday evening (at six months and one day old), he had his first taste of rice cereal. At first, as I fed him in the high chair, I thought he was uninterested, but Kansas Dad snuggled him on his lap and tried again and Second Son just slurped it up! He loved it. He had a bit more this morning, some at lunch and gobs at dinner tonight (even though I'd just fed him). I know the girls didn't eat it up like this, but I do remember First Son enjoying solid foods from the very first.

We did take some pictures and he is wearing the same (now quite stained) bib the others wore for their first tastes of rice cereal, but I'm too lazy to go get the camera (and a little frightened of the month's worth of pictures on it).

Now if only there were something to those tales of better sleep with solid food in the tummy...