Monday, February 21, 2011

Second Son Sleeps

Recently, Kansas Dad and I reached our limit with Second Son. He wasn't napping well, even if I held him. He wasn't sleeping in his crib at all at night. I would sit on the sofa, holding him, for hours before we went to bed. I watched a lot of Netflix, but nothing was getting done. You know, fun things like paying the bills.

So we decided to take action. As soon as Second Son's cold was a bit better, we prepared. We checked out Solve Your Child's Sleep Problems: New, Revised, and Expanded Edition by Richard Ferber. Kansas Dad bought some wine and Ben & Jerry's ice cream, in preparation for a stressful evening. On Friday, I read a special nighttime story to Second Son (The Going-To-Bed Book by Sandra Boynton, of course), nursed him, then settled him in his crib while he was still awake.

He cried.

We followed the schedule in the book, going in and talking to him briefly. After an hour, he fell asleep. All in all, we considered it fairly easy.

On Saturday, he cried for less than ten minutes.

On Sunday, he cried for about two minutes before falling asleep.

Tonight, no tears at all!

Oh, the joy! The bliss! Wandering the house without a baby in my arms!

I'm nearly too exhausted to take advantage of it, but soon, very soon, I expect to start making a dent in the List of Things That Have Been Left Undone for Two Months. Hopefully I can tackle a good bit of it before he starts teething and stops sleeping again.

7 comments:

  1. So glad that he's sleeping better! It's tough on everyone when baby isn't sleeping well! Although Ruby's sleeping well, I'd be interested to read that book - may have to check it out too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle, he's sleeping well at the moment, but had a four hour fit last night, from about 10 to about 2 am. Horrible! Hopefully that won't repeat.

    The book is quite good. I found it to be reasonable and not at all what you might expect from people who speak disparagingly of Ferber. Especially the newest edition.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you post that your child is sleeping, then you KNOW the next night, he won't sleep well. The law of posting. :)

    I may have to check out that book. Does he sleep in the crib all night then?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I talked to H of B this afternoon so she already knows, but in case anyone else is interested - Second Son starts the night in his crib. He typically wakes between midnight and 1 am when I feed him and bring him into our bed. Last night, he didn't wake again until morning (between 6 am and 7 am). Oh, how wonderful!

    I usually don't try to night-wean until baby is at least one year old. We'll switch to sleeping all night in the crib at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found your blog from your comment on MSM, and I had to pop over and say hi cause I'm a Kansas girl too. And small world, you know Michelle - me too!

    I'm intrigued about the book you mentioned. My LO is 6 mos and we'be been co sleeping but are ready to move her to the crib. So far, she hates it :/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Megan, welcome! We Kansans have to stick together.

    I recommend the Ferber book. He gives suggestions and advice for all sorts of situations. More than anything else, it's a remarkably informative book on sleep and sleep habits.

    ReplyDelete
  7. KM, I have been meaning to comment on this post for a long time now...sorry I'm late to the party. I just wanted to congratulate you on a good night's sleep! There is nothing like sleep to restore the Mommy. :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me happy; thanks for speaking up!