Friday, May 6, 2011

Product Review: Rockin' Green Hard Rock 2.0 Detergent and Funk Rock Ammonia Bouncer

About six months ago, I started using Rockin' Green detergent. I waited a long time to write a review of it because I wanted to be sure it's performance held up over time. It has!

Rockin' Green is environmentally-friendly and safe for the most sensitive skin. It's free of dyes, enzymes, optical brighteners and phosphates. I think I even read in one of the recent newsletters that it's gluten free.

What I love best about this detergent is that I can purchase some specifically formulated for hard water. We discovered after some time here in our house, as opposed to back in town, that our old detergent just wasn't good enough for the diapers. Enter Hard Rock 2.0. Our well water is exceptionally hard. Before Kansas Dad rebuilt the water softener (Have I mentioned lately how he's my hero?), our water measured a staggering 28.6 GPG. (1 - 3.5 is slightly hard; over 10.5 is very hard.) Though our water softener makes a big difference, it's still difficult to find soaps and detergents that give consistent results. You can also purchase Soft Rock for soft water and Classic Rock for everything in between. They are all safe for diapers and for use in HE washing machines.
After a few weeks, I was so impressed I started to use this "good stuff" for the towels, too. I wash towels, washcloths, hand towels, bibs and cleaning rags together on hot water. I like to know they're getting really clean. (One of these days I'll probably switch all our laundry, but for now I tell myself it's cheaper to use the coupon-sale combo detergent for everything else.)

Rockin' Green detergents come in a variety of scents. In the past, I ordered only unscented because Kansas Dad doesn't care for scents, but my most recent order included three different scents. I decided to give them a try. There's no extra charge for the scented varieties and the scent washes out in the laundry. They are purely for enjoyment as you're pouring the soap into the washing machine. (The washing instructions even say you're to "savor the smell.")
Though there's one store within driving distance that carries Rockin' Green, I tend to buy mine online. If I watch the cloth diapering stores and follow Rockin' Green on Facebook, I can usually buy ahead with a sale.

If you're intrigued, you can order samples of the detergent of your choice directly from Rockin' Green.

While I was pleased with our new diaper-laundry detergent, we noticed a distinct ammonia smell from Second Daughter's diapers a few months ago. I clicked over to Cloth Diaper Outlet and ordered some Funk Rock Ammonia Bouncer, a new product from Rockin' Green. I soaked the inserts overnight. I'll be honest;  the water the next morning was totally gross! I could not believe how much gunk was built up in those inserts! I followed the simple instructions for the soak and washing them afterward. We've had no smelly problems since. Hooray! They recommend using about a tablespoon of the Funk Rock in the wash every time, but I use it about every third wash (once a week or so) to help keep the funk away.

This review is my honest opinion about Rockin' Green detergent. I purchased the products myself, did not receive anything for the review and will not receive anything if you order from Rockin' Green. If you follow the link to Cloth Diaper Outlet and make a purchase, I do receive a small commission.

Happy laundry!