Friday, September 9, 2011

First Nature Walk of the Year

We were supposed to go on our first nature walk during the second week of school, but it was still over 100 degrees outside. Instead, we delayed it a few days so we could enjoy some fantastic weather, about twenty degrees cooler.

Because we're studying rivers and oceans this year, I selected a park not too far from home with views of a creek and a paved path -- very nice for the toddler in the stroller. (Yes, I realize I could put him in a carrier, but he weighs 25 pounds and I have to be nimble enough to chase the three year old.)

We had a lovely walk, though my children were much more interested in taking pictures with my camera (not of the creek, mind you) or asking when we'd have our snack than just about anything else. Still, I think it was a worthwhile trip and we'll be visiting on a regular basis over the course of our school year.

Explorers, including First Son in Mario stance and Boots, faithful sidekick of Second Daughter

The Creek

Second Son enjoying his snack

Deer
We also came home with a few ticks, so I'll have to be more diligent with the bug spray, at least until we get some freezing weather. (Will we really? After this summer it's hard to imagine real cold.)