Wednesday, April 4, 2012

My Favorite Picture Books: The Easter Story and Easter

I wanted to post about an Easter book this week. Because I couldn't choose between these two wonderfully illustrated picture books, we have two favorites this week. (That will help make up for missing one last week.)

The Easter Story written and illustrated by Brian Wildsmith

Brian Wildsmith is one of my favorite illustrators. The book is a big size and the illustrations fill the pages with vivid colors. The story is told from the point of view of the little donkey that carried Jesus into Jerusalem on Palm Sunday. I believe Wildsmith's artwork encourages children to consider the divinity of Jesus. For the Ascension, he shows Jesus rising ephemerally into the heavens surrounding by rays of gold and vibrant angels.

If you like The Easter Story, here's another of my favorite picture books by Brian Wildsmith, Exodus.


Easter illustrated by Fiona French.

The text of this picture book is adapted from a variety of translations of the Bible. It also begins with Palm Sunday and ends with the Ascension. I love French's illustrations, which are done in the style of stained glass windows. They are full of color and action. The illustrations of Jesus on the cross and after the crucifixion may be a bit more distressing for young children than any in Brian Wildsmith's book above, but I don't think they are too harsh for Holy Week.

We'll be reading both of these books in the days leading up to Easter and after Easter as we celebrate.