Thursday, May 17, 2012

Math for First Daughter in Kindergarten

In thinking about my review of Saxon Math 2 (coming soon), I came across some placement tests for Saxon Math, which I had never used before. I just started First Son in kindergarten math and went from there. Honestly, that was probably just where he needed to be, though we did skip lessons now and then.

I wanted to put First Daughter in Saxon Math K as well. I like the short lessons, lack of worksheets or fact sheets and the fewer number of lessons. (See my initial review of Saxon Math K here.) I tend to think that's how math should be in kindergarten. Curious, though, I gave First Daughter the placement tests.

She breezed through the kindergarten section, answering every question correctly (and sometimes going beyond the question). She even did surprisingly well on the first grade section, though usually coming up a little short.

I then grappled with the question of what to do. She seems solidly ready for the concepts in Saxon Math 1, but I hesitate to give her worksheets and fact sheets. She doesn't struggle with handwriting like First Son did (more that he didn't want to do it than that he couldn't), but I don't want her more limited ability to write to make her dislike math. Kansas Dad rightly argues we should give her concepts that will challenge her, that she'll be bored with the easier things. Saxon Math repeats all the concepts multiple times, so I don't need to worry that she'll miss out on anything completely.

What to do?

The current plan is to give her Saxon Math 1 next year, in kindergarten. I think I will give her the option to complete the fact sheet or sign on to XtraMath for the day. As for the worksheets...I'm not sure. If she really wants to do them, I'll let her. If she wants to go through them verbally, we'll do that. If she has lots of angst about the worksheets, we'll skip them entirely. I'm not overly excited about her being "a year ahead," but being able to meet her exactly where she is seems to be a major benefit of homeschooling. Why would I be happier about that if she needs extra time than if she doesn't?

If she starts to struggle, next year or later, we'll just slow down.