Wednesday, May 16, 2012

My Favorite Picture Books: Diary of a Wombat


Diary of a Wombat by Jackie French, illustrated by Bruce Whatley

This book entertains every single person who reads it or hears it. Our children laugh out loud every time.

You might learn a little about wombats by reading the story, mainly that they sleep a lot. It's slightly more interesting for it's depiction of the intersection of humans and wild animals.

Mostly, though, it's funny.

The story is told from the point of view of the wombat. Even very young children know more about humans than the wombat does, so they know exactly why the humans look displeased when the wombat is the most pleased.

The illustrations are crisp on the white pages and the wombat is adorable, even at its most infuriating.

I hope you can find a copy of this book to enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. I always appreciate these posts, even if I don't always comment. I added this to my "W" list at the library. We recently checked out Wombat Walkabout and it was cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always put your books on our lists, too, Monica!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you read Diary of a Baby Wombat, by the same author? We enjoyed that one a lot too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amber, I haven't read it! I just saw it when I was writing this post. our library doesn't have a copy, so I bought it for Second Son's birthday (not until July, but I buy gifts when I find them). It hasn't come yet, but I'm excited to receive it, even if I have to wait until July to read it to the kids. Kansas Dad laughed. I think he thought I bought it more for myself than the baby...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never buy gifts more for myself than the kids. Or wait a minute... ;-D

    And thanks, I'm glad you appreciate my taste in children's books. It's nice to have other people from whom I can get recommendations.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me happy; thanks for speaking up!