Wednesday, May 2, 2012

My Favorite Picture Books: The Lion and the Mouse


The Lion and the Mouse by Jerry Pinkney

This book is Mr. Pinkney's wordless, but not soundless, story of Aesop's fable in which a lion has compassion on a mouse and is saved by her in return. I have come to love Mr. Pinkney's illustrations. The ones in this book are particularly warm and vibrant.

My children are familiar with Aesop's tale and I like to let them narrate this book themselves. There is something new to discover each time we check this book out from the library. We've used it when reading Aesop's fables, when reading about Ancient Greece and, most recently, when reading stories of compassion.

I like to read aloud the author's note at the end of the story; it is a wonderful insight into the thoughts of authors and illustrators as they are envisioning a story and how it will be read and enjoyed by the audience.