Tuesday, March 5, 2013

My Favorite Picture Books: Harold and the Purple Crayon

Harold and the Purple Crayon by Crockett Johnson

Every once in a while I write about a book I suppose everyone already knows. We have enjoyed Harold and the Purple Crayon for years. I selected a book from the series for my nephew for Christmas when he was five. His family had never seen any of them before. He loved it so much, he begged his mom to come out after his bedtime story to give me a kiss as a thank you. How sweet is that?

Harold's purple crayon is magical. Together they create an adventure that's full of fun, humor, and just the right amount of scariness. There's text on most pages, but in a real way the simple purple line illustrations in the book are the story.

Please, if you have not read this book, slip into your library or local bookstore and find a copy. You will not regret it. You might not even be able to resist taking it home with you.