Wednesday, May 15, 2013

A Test and a Query

People who know me in real life, which might be everyone who reads this blog, know that my laptop screen recently developed identity issues. It turned pink and blue and white in lines across and down the screen. Ten days later, it displayed a black hue over everything. Kansa Dad is working on getting it fixed, but since it's almost six years old, we're also in the market for a replacement. The laptop was a Mac and I loved it, so a new Mac laptop is the ideal. I'm exploring other options, though, like an iPad, which can probably do everything I want but is not quite as fancy, or even a Chromebook.

In light of that, this post is a test. I'm trying out Blogsy to see how well I can write a post on the iPad. Also to ask if anyone out there has switched to a tablet instead of a laptop or if there are any Chromebook experiences to share. (David, I know you shared on Facebook, but feel free to shamelessly plug Google again in the blog comments.)

 

5 comments:

  1. Do you know Shannon Crouch? She was just telling me about the ChromeBook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't, but it's funny we're getting similar input from different people.

      Delete
  2. We love our chromebook and I actually considered getting Ethan his own to use for school this year (he's now doing math and all his writing on the computer as well as spanish and programming). You can't install things on it - Rosetta Stone for example or programming platforms - but it starts up fast, is super lightweight, seems to hold a good charge for quite some time, and connects well to our wifi. It's simple - just a browser - and everyone can have their own account which you just log into. If someone needs to do a quick search for something online, it's the computer we tend to reach for. I also have an iPad (and we have many different Nexus tablets floating around) and I really don't like using them for any writing (although I don't have a keyboard which would make it easier) or for doing a lot of web searching. I love the iPad for reading (books, journals), a quick Youtube video, apps for the kids, and for cooking. The Nexus 7 and 10 are both great and I would certainly consider those if you decide to go the tablet route. You're welcome to try out the Chromebook and tablets when you're here - it's hard to know how you'll like it until you give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Becca, I'm really intrigued by the Chromebook option. I told Kansas Dad that it would be great for the kids even if it didn't work out for me long term.

      Have you used it much for spreadsheets? I have our entire year's lesson plans in a big Excel sheet now. I'm guessing I could do the same thing on a Google spreadsheet and just access it from the Chromebook. Have you tried that? I haven't used Google much that way so I don't know how easy it is and what kind of storage space they offer.

      Delete
  3. I think using an iPad full time would be tough, although I know people do it. With an exterior keyboard I think I could be pretty happy with it, but I'd have a hard time with the nine browser limit in Safari. When I'm doing book research and school planning I can have a lot more than that open at one time!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me happy; thanks for speaking up!