Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Homeschool Review: 2012-2013 Family Read-Alouds

I've already posted on the family read-alouds I selected for World History and American History. We also read from another family read-aloud four or five times a week (usually at the breakfast table as my children dawdled over their cereal and made a tremendous mess). This was my time to read wonderful books I loved or wanted to share with them that didn't necessarily fit into a lesson plan anywhere. They are just for pure enjoyment without any required narration, though there was often plenty of talk that flowed naturally from them.

We read these books when First Son was nine (third grade), First Daughter was six (kindergarten), and the other two were four and two. During Advent, we put these books aside and read from some holiday-themed books instead. You can find that list here.

The Princess and the Goblin by George MacDonald - I meant to read The Princess and Curdie with them this year, as we listened to The Princess and the Goblin last year, but I forgot. Once I got started, the children wanted to hear the end again! Hopefully we'll get the The Princess and Curdie eventually. (free Kindle edition)

Schoolhouse in the Woods by Rebecca Caudill is the second in the Fairchild Family series and we loved it just as much as Happy Little Family. I have the second and third books in the series and am hoping we have time to read them together this summer. (I bought my copy from Bethlehem Books.)

Caddie Woodlawn by Carol Ryrie Brink - I love this book and I loved sharing it with my children. They enjoyed it as well. (We read a copy I saved from my childhood.)

Misty of Chincoteague by Marguerite Henry - I have a lot of horse books from when I was young and have refrained from sharing most of them. (My kids aren't as excited by horses as I was.) They enjoyed this one, though. (We read a copy I saved from my childhood.)

The Moffats by Eleanor Estes - This is such a delightful family story. We listened to it on audio CD while we were driving back and forth to my parents' house. (library copy)

Heidi by Johanna Spyri - This is a classic story no child should miss. My kids adored it from beginning to end. I highly recommend buying this on in person to make sure you're getting an unabridged edition. I  have a no-frills paperback I bought at a library sale (or something) but would love a beautifully illustrated version for our home library. (purchased copy)


The Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling - The children all loved this book, especially the stories of Mowgli and Rikki-Tikki-Tavi. I read aloud this wonderfully illustrated version from the library with artwork by Robert Ingpen, but originally I read this free Kindle version.

All-of-a-Kind Family Uptown by Sydney Talyor - We read the first of this series in our American History read-aloud time, then followed it with the next two on audio CD from the library. The kids begged for more, so I decided we'd finish our official school year with this one. (library copy)