Apple Pie ABC by Alison Murray
How many alphabet books do you really need? Not that many, really, but with books like this one I can't help collecting a few more (at least on our library lists). I found this book originally at Stacey Loscalzo's blog, which I must have reached by following a rabbit trail as it's not one I follow, but I will be always grateful for the introduction of this delightful book.
A young girl makes an apple pie, which is most certainly not for the dog, but through the letters of the alphabet, he desires and plots to sample a crumb (or more). You'll have to find a copy of the book to learn whether he was successful, but it will be worth the search. The text is clever. The illustrations are crisp and simple but wonderful.
There are a few other books mentioned in the post that are among my favorites. Here are some I've already mentioned on the blog:
- Little Pea (My Favorite Picture Books) by Amy Krouse Rosenthal
- LMNOP by Keith Baker (scroll to the bottom)
- Orange Pear Apple Bear (My Favorite Picture Books) by Emily Gravett
- Like Pickle Juice on a Cookie by Julie Sternberg (mentioned near the bottom when I pre-read it for First Daughter)
- Yummy Yucky by Leslie Petricelli