Friday, November 8, 2013

October 2013 Book Reports

The Scourge of Muirwood by Jeff Wheeler is the third and final book in the Legends of Muirwood series for young adults. I enjoyed them quite a lot, just as something to read for fun. (Kindle edition borrowed for free from the Kindle Owners' Lending Library)

Half Upon a Time by James Riley is the first book in a trilogy for middle grade readers set in an enchanted land easily recognizable to fairy tale readers and yet full of surprises. I also read Twice Upon a Time, the second book, and Once Upon the End, the final book of the trilogy, this month. They were really enjoyable. I'll share them with First Son next summer. (library copy)

Father Damien and the Bells by Arthur and Elizabeth Sheehan is the story of St. Damien of Molokai, who left Europe to serve the mission field of Hawai'i and then dedicated his life to the leper colony. His life is a great example to us and highly recommended. First Son will be reading this book as one of his saint biographies in fourth grade, probably in the next few weeks. (copy purchased from Sacred Heart Books and Gifts)

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll is a classic I've always avoided because every film version I saw bothered me; it just didn't make sense. Honestly, the book doesn't make much sense, either, but it's delightful in a way the movies never were. I immediately added it to our read-aloud list for this year and hope we have time to read it soon. Now I need to read the sequel. (library copy; there are plenty of beautifully illustrated versions available)

Tending the Heart of Virtue by Vigen Guroian (library copy)

The Queen and the Cross by Cornelia Mary Bilinksy (a review for The Catholic Company)

The Diary of a Country Priest by Georges Bernanos is a heady book of a young priest at his first parish. I enjoyed parts of it but am pretty sure I missed some of its depth. (Kansas Dad's copy)


Books in Progress (and date started)