Monday, January 6, 2014

November 2013 Book Reports

I took an unplanned vacation from the blog for Advent and Christmas. I hope you all had a wonderful holiday season!


Much delayed, here are the books I read last November.

The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins is a classic mystery story. It's long by contemporary mystery standards (and likely considered too wordy) but it was fascinating and exciting. I don't read many mysteries but I love books of Victorian England and enjoyed this one. (free Kindle version)

The Wonder Clock by Howard Pyle (library copy)

The Secret School by Avi is a book I picked up at a library sale thinking First Daughter might like to read it aloud this year (first grade). It's the story of a young girl who secretly becomes the teacher of her school in order to complete eighth grade and go on to high school. The writing is not too difficult, so I think she could manage it, but the subject matter is a little more sophisticated. I think it would be more appropriate for late elementary or middle grade readers. So I've made a note to bring it out in a few years. (purchased copy)

Canadian Summer by Hilda van Stockum (purchased used on CathSwap)

A Donkey's Tale by Stefano Gorla, illustrated by Angela Marchetti (a review for The Catholic Company)

Hannah Coulter by Wendell Berry (library copy)

The Story of a Soul by St. Therese of Lisieux (library copy)

Dad Is Fat by Jim Gaffigan is the new book by a Catholic comedian who lives in a two-bedroom apartment in New York City with his wife and five children. It was highly enjoyable. (library copy)

Macbeth (Shakespeare Made Easy) by William Shakespeare is the second play we'll study in fourth grade. The modern version in this book has some explicit text, but First Son won't be reading it. As before, we'll read Lamb and Nesbit's versions, both of which are appropriate for all ages. Easily my favorite part of studying Shakespeare with the children is reading it myself in preparation. (purchased from Sacred Heart Books and Gifts)

Books in Progress (and date started)