Monday, February 3, 2014

January 2014 Book Reports

Dust (Silo Saga) by Hugh Howey is the final installment of the Silo saga. It's a shame the author seems to disregard faith as much as he does, but the series is highly enjoyable for those of us who thrill to read stories of humanity beginning again. I waited to purchase it until just before our Christmas holiday so I could read it uninterrupted by lessons. (purchased the Kindle edition)

Parenting without Borders by Christine Gross-Loh, PhD (library copy)

A Place in Time by Wendell Berry (library copy)

Things I've Been Silent About: Memories of a Prodigal Daughter by Azar Nafisi is a memoir by the author of Reading Lolita in Tehran: A Memoir in Books. Though often sad, I was fascinated by the land of Persia (not Iran). Her knowledge of Persian literature is what grounds her understanding of her country and her own family. (library copy)

How to Live on 24 Hours a Day by Arnold Bennett is a quick read to encourage you to focus your energy on learning something or perfecting yourself rather than dwindling your life away in front of the television or a computer screen, though it was written long before such technology. Brandy read this book and mentioned it on her post, The Year in Books. I found the tone humorous and was encouraged though I feel like I already devote a great amount of time to improving myself with all the books I read for the education of our children and to better my own understanding of education. (free Kindle edition)

Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke is a science fiction story wondering what would happen if humanity were to be visited by a far superior race that controlled our destiny. Though ESP plays a pivotal role in the book, Clarke's introduction explains that he now longer believes ESP is possible. I enjoyed reading the book but disagree with Clarke that religion and faith are inventions of mankind and therefore will one day become superfluous. (borrowed for free from the Kindle Owners' Lending Library)

The Eighth Day by Thornton Wilder (library copy)

The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Perilous Journey by Trenton Lee Stewart is the second book in the series, in which the four children slip off on their own to attempt to rescue the man who brought them together. As before, it's full of excitement, friendship, hope, courage, and perseverance. Highly recommended for middle grade readers. I could probably hand the whole series over to First Son now without reading the last two books, but of course I want to know what happens! (library copy)

Because I Said So by Dawn Meehan is a humorous fun read for moms from a popular mom blogger. (inter-library loan)

Books in Progress (and date started)