Friday, January 30, 2015

Book Review: Food: A Love Story

Food: A Love Story by Jim Gaffigan

Mr. Gaffigan is a comedian who jokes often about living in a two-bedroom apartment in New York City with his wife and their five children. In this book, he speaks on another topic about which he claims to be knowledgeable: food and eating. The short chapters are easy to read when you are constantly being interrupted. (Perhaps he found them easy to write that way as well; after all, he does have five young chldren.) True to expectations, I sometimes laughed out loud (only a little embarrassing while I was sitting at First Son's taekwondo lesson). Kansas Dad liked the bit on a certain cinnamon bun airport restaurant so much he read it out loud to me while laughing in between every fourth word.

My favorite quote is not as funny as the rest of the book, but struck me as true.
I'm tired of people acting like they are better than McDonald's. You may've never set foot in a McDonald's, but you have your own McDonald's. Maybe instead of buying a Big Mac, you read Us Weekly. That's just a different type of McDonald's. It's just served up a little differently. Maybe your McDonald's is telling yourself your Starbucks Frappuccino is not a milkshake, or maybe you watch those Real-Housewives-of-some-large-city shows. It's all McDonald's. It's McDonald's of the soul: momentary pleasure followed by incredible guilt, eventually leading to cancer.
Mr. Gaffigan is a Catholic which is mentioned in the book when it's a part of a larger story. The book is intended for everyone, not just Catholics or Christians.

As an affiliate with Amazon, I receive a small commission if you follow one of my links, add something to your cart, and complete the purchase (in that order). This review is my objective opinion. I borrowed this book from the library.