First Daughter is in third grade this year, which means she's studying her state (because I studied Georgia when I was in third grade and for no other reason). Originally, I had not intended to "teach" the state song, Home on the Range, but decided it was a good year to have a patriotic playlist for our listening loop.
- Way Out West in Kansas by Vernon Dalhart from Puttin on the Style
- Sunflower by Frank Sinatra from The Columbia Years (1943-1952)
- Old Chisholm Trail by Mike Seeger from Early Southern Guitar Styles
- Home on the Range by Pete Seeger from American Favorite Ballads Vol. 1 - 5
- This Land Is Your Land by Elizabeth Mitchell from Little Seed: Songs for Children By Woody Guthrie
- America, My Country 'tis of Thee by United States Army Field Band from Folk Treasures of America
- Star Spangled Banner by Lee Greenwood from American Patriot
I think it's likely we'll have new lists science songs and folk songs every year, but I may save this list for years in which one of the children is studying Kansas.
The italic print: Links to Amazon above are affiliate links. If you click on one, put something in your cart, and make a purchase (any purchase) within Amazon's time frame, I receive a small commission. My checking account thanks you!
Links to the Spotify are not affiliate links. I receive nothing from them, but I highly recommend the paid subscription to Spotify as some of the commercials are not family-friendly.