Saturday, October 25, 2008

A Gentle Guide

A Charlotte Mason Companion: Personal Reflections on the Gentle Art of Learning

This was a fabulous book to sit and read in small bursts, perfect for leaving around the house for when I had a free moment. It's a treasure-trove of information and resources for those of us just inching our way into the Charlotte Mason waters, but it's also just as much a "companion." Ms. Andreola's style is very soothing, as if she were sitting just across the table with some tea and cookies, chatting about what wonderful learning experiences she and her kids had last week.

Books like this one continue to inspire me to read the original series by Charlotte Mason. (Sadly, my library does not have a copy and I'm sure I couldn't finish it in the alloted time for an inter-library loan book. I know I want to buy them; it's just a matter of time and finances.) I'm sure I'll be coming back to Ms. Andreola's book over and over again in the future.

As an added benefit, First Son absolutely loved the sketches and illustrations in the book. Funny that he would be so intrigued by Victorian families.