Monday, December 15, 2008

Bringing the Nativity Story to Life

Mountain Miracle - A Nativity Story, by Alvaro Correa with illustrations by Gloria Lorenzo

I just knew I'd be able to read and review this book in a more timely manner than my previous books from The Catholic Company!

In this story, Martin and Beth are portraying Joseph and Mary in their church's Christmas Nativity scene. They seek a real baby to be Jesus, but all the infants in town are unavailable, so they pray for a miracle. In response, the one and only baby Jesus appears to portray...well, himself.

This little book shows Jesus as a real baby, warm and smiling. Becoming a mother made Jesus as infant so much more real for me. I can still gaze down at my youngest daughter and remember the thrill I felt when I realized Mary had once held her son, our Lord, just as I snuggled my son. That wonder and gratitude for His humble birth as a man is something I'd like my children to experience.

What I really loved most about this story were the illustrations, especially the one shown on the cover. It's so soft and blue. The lines are loose, light, as if the illustrator just needed a slight wave of her hand to create them.

It's a sweet little story, though I found the language a bit awkward in parts. Perhaps it's a reflection of the translation. I read the first chapter aloud to First Son, but it didn't seem to hold his interest. Hopefully a year from now he'll have more experience with longer books. I suppose there's even a chance he could read it to me.

This review was written as part of The Catholic Company product reviewer program. I have not received any payment for this review, but I did receive a free copy of the book Mountain Miracle by Alvaro Correa.