Monday, December 8, 2008

A Holy Hour on a Holy Day

Kansas Dad decided he'd like to attend mass today on campus so I slipped away to church on my own last night. That's right. I left all three kids at home. The older two were watching a video and the youngest was sleeping. I hardly felt myself as I drove down the road in the little car I never drive.

Just me. By myself. Sitting in the pew. I could think. I could pray. I could listen attentively to the homily. Our priest truly made it a holy mass. We sang all the lovely Marian hymns. It was simply wonderful. I felt refreshed after mass (when usually I'm just relieved).

I do not want to make a habit of attending mass without my family. I love having my little ones with me. I love the moments when they seem truly entranced by the mass (few as those may be). I am thankful, though, for the little time I had last night, just me in the church.

Happy Feast of the Immaculate Conception!