Sunday, December 14, 2008

Practice Makes Perfect

There's nothing like making a pie to remind me that there are some things that just must be done to be done well. Piecrust is one of those things. To be really good at it, you must make a lot of piecrusts. I do not, mostly because they take more work than those quick breads of which I'm so fond, but also because they are usually quite dangerous to our health.

Birthdays, though, deserve something special. Since we still had cupcakes in the house, I convinced Kansas Dad he wanted Peanut Butter Cream Pie, recommended by MaryJane, who should know. Poor Kansas Dad had to help me out with it a bit as my wrist doesn't take kindly to stirring thick things. (Usually I use my mixer, but there's no substitute for folding by hand.) Luckily, this piecrust didn't have to be perfect to be yummy.


I'd like to try it again. I'd risk using my food processor to cut in the butter and I want to try it with creamy peanut butter rather than extra crunchy. Given the calories and questionable nutritional value, I won't be making it again soon, though.

Happy birthday, Kansas Dad! (We had to celebrate early because we're celebrating Christmas on his real birthday.)