Thursday, February 19, 2009

Do Not Read This Post If You Are Pregnant

An Exact Replica of a Figment of My Imagination: A Memoir by Elizabeth McCracken

It begins, "A child dies in this book: a baby. A baby is stillborn." Kansas Dad couldn't believe I wanted to read this book, but it was a beautiful tribute to the author's pregnancy, baby boy and subsequent pregnancy. We have been blessed and lucky with my three healthy pregnancies and our three healthy children, but my extended family and friends have been touched by stillbirth and miscarriage. I feel I might understand their feelings just a little bit more after reading this book, and I hope I can better respond to such news in the future. I think, if you are the mother of a stillborn baby, you may find this book comforting.

...it meant so much to me to hear it. It happened to me, too, meant: It's not your fault. And You are not a freak of nature. And This does not have to be a secret.