Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Visiting A Thoughtful Spot

We were reading The Tales of Olga Da Polga for our family read-aloud. This book holds a special place in the hearts of the adults here on the Range. It was the first book that inspired a love of reading in Kansas Dad. He checked it out from the library when he was but a young boy and has never been the same. He would never have become the man I was to marry if it weren't for this book. So I was really excited to share it with the kids. They were exited to say "Olga da Polga" but not so much by the story, so I sadly put it aside for a while.

Instead, we've returned to an old favorite,The Complete Tales of Winnie-the-Pooh, one I'm not sure we've ever finished all the way to the end. I knew immediately I made a good decision when First Son sat intently listening to the first chapter. Then he and First Daughter begged, "One more chapter!" (I gave in once, but I've found their attention dwindles quickly after the first chapter, so we only do one in a sitting.)

I was at a big bookstore a few days ago and saw quite a few collections of the Winnie-the-Pooh stories, but most of them did not have Shephard's lovely drawings reproduced very well. I was lucky to receive this beautiful treasury years before I had children and am so thankful to have it now.