Friday, August 21, 2009

Art Appreciation

We'll have arts and crafts one afternoon a week where First Son and First Daughter will have the chance to make something of their own, but I wanted to introduce some art appreciation as well. We're going to start with Come Look with Me: Enjoying Art with Children. We'll look at a picture and talk about it. I'm trying to avoid formal narration, but I think I will ask the kids to tell me what they think of the picture or what they like (or don't like) about it. Following Brandy's lead, we will look at the same piece of art two weeks in a row. I may invite First Son to sit down with some quality art supplies (like a fabulous artist quality set of colored pencils I picked up on clearance recently) to draw something as he feels inspired while looking at the artwork. I won't ask him to copy anything. We'll see, though. It is always nice when he draws anything other than Veggie characters.

We also have, through the generosity of a PaperBackSwap.com member, Aline Wolf's How to Use Child Size Masterpieces and the Level 2 and Level 3 cards. I am very tempted to buy a copy of the Level 1 cards and give them a try. So far, I've managed to control the impulse, but we'll see.