Friday, September 25, 2009

Moving from Bach to Handel

We've been listening to Bach for the month of September (and the few days in August we had school) and enjoying it immensely (or at least, I have been enjoying it). I did request a few CDs from the library that fit the bill perfectly, giving us a variety of his most memorable compositions: The Masterpiece Collection: Bach and The Johann Sebastian Bach Collection. I've requested our Handel CDs for the month of October and hope they turn out as well. (It was very difficult to find library copies that weren't just the Messiah, Christmas music, or "wedding" music.)

I don't know if the kids have learned anything, but I heard some classical music on a TV show recently and immediately identified it as Bach. There are definitely benefits to restricting our classical music to a single composer for a month, even if we don't learn the names of the individual pieces.

The kids and I had a wonderful time at our Nature Study Club this morning. I think I have some pictures to share, but am loathe to turn on the desktop (where I store all the pictures) as it's now storming. (I know, it's silly, but it's one irrational fear I can indulge without impinging on our lifestyle too much.)

Must run through the shower now when there's no thunder! (Another irrational fear...)