Thursday, February 11, 2010

Aunt Carolee's Apple Cake Recipe

Way back for First Daughter's birthday, I mentioned making an apple cake based on my aunt's recipe. It is absolutely scrumptious, the best apple cake we've ever tasted (and we've tried quite a few). I asked her, back in October, if I could share her recipe and she responded immediately "Yes!", but I am a slacker so it's taken all these months. Now none of you probably have many fresh apples lying around, but you can bookmark it and make it this fall. I don't think you'll regret it. (I haven't tried this cake with frozen apples. I was tempted, but I think I really want to make pie with the apples I have left in the freezer and it's just enough for that. If anyone tries it, let me know how it works!)

Illinois Aunt's Famous Fresh Apple Cake

2 cups flour (I use whole wheat.)
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt

2 cups sugar
1/2 cup oil (I use applesauce; it seems appropriate for the apple cake.)
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla

1 cup chopped nuts
4 cups raw apples, chopped

Mix dry ingredients in a bowl. Mix the sugar through vanilla in a mixer and then add the dry ingredients. Don't overmix. Fold in the walnuts and apples.

Bake in a greased and floured 13 x 9 pan at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.

Frosting (or you could use your favorite cream cheese frosting recipe):

6 ounces cream cheese
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 stick butter
2 cups powdered sugar

Blend first three ingredients. Slowly add powdered sugar until smooth.

I frost the cake right in the pan.

Serve with friends or you'll eat the whole cake yourself!