Friday, October 1, 2010

Apple Cake Again

I am going to post on First Daughter's birthday when I've got some pictures off the camera, but some of the moms asked for the apple cake recipe so I was looking it over and wanted to point it out again for those who might still have some apples lying around.

This year, I made a cupcakes for the kids to decorate (chocolate and vanilla) and the apple cake for the parents. I made it a layer cake with 8" rounds instead of the 9 x 13 pan and doubled the cream cheese frosting recipe. I used it all! The apple cake was delicious as always, but I'm not sure I'd make a layer cake again. I had to cool the cake in the pans because it was too moist to flip out onto a cooling rack and it sank in the middle (which it always does) but that meant I used more frosting in the middle (not necessarily a bad thing, I guess). Anyway, the real down-side to a layer cake is that everyone ate twice as much as they might have otherwise and there was none left after the party. Though now that I think about it, that might be a good thing.

If you make this cake with whole wheat flour and applesauce and serve it unfrosted, it's actually not that unhealthy.

2 comments:

  1. Hmm. I'll need to look for an occasion to try this, since we do still have an abundance of apples. My girls don't really care for apple bread/muffins, etc. though, so I'll probably need to make it for someone else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tiffany, I've never even offered this cake to the kids, so I don't even know if they'd like it! I've made it for plenty of adults, though. It's much sweeter and moister than the apple muffins or breads I've made, but it does have chunks of apple in it which might put kids off.

    I bet it would be great for a potluck. Now someone needs to host one so I can make it again! (Anyone? Anyone?)

    I put some apples in the freezer and will probably try it with frozen apples next time, just to see if it would work well.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me happy; thanks for speaking up!