Tuesday, November 20, 2012

My Favorite Picture Books: Water Sings Blue

Water Sings Blue: Ocean Poems by Kate Coombs, illustrated by Meilo So

I mentioned this book briefly when I wrote about poetry. The more I peruse this book, the more I love it. The poems are in a variety of meters and rhythms, but all about the ocean or ocean life: waves, tide pools, jellyfish, shark, and more. My favorites are What the Waves Say and Sand's Story. Some of them are silly, which always appeals to the young ones, but Ms. Coombs doesn't speak down to the children.

The real treasure, though, are the illustrations. They are simply wonderful. Her watercolors are brilliant and vibrant, showing all the colors of the sea shore and ocean.

Books like this remind me how much I'd like to take our children to see an ocean. One day we will. In the meantime, we share books like this together.