Wednesday, January 23, 2013

December 2012 Book Reports

It's taken me a while to get this posted, but I didn't want to neglect it. Here's the list of books I read in December 2012 (not counting what I read out loud to the kids).

Saint Tekakwitha: Courageous Faith adapted from a book by Lillian M. Fisher (a review for The Catholic Company) - I read this book in November, but forgot to include it in my November book report.

The Queen of Water by Laura Resau and Maria Virginia Farinango (library copy)

The Mennyms by Sylvia Waugh is the story of life-size rag dolls that are alive. They have been living in a rented home for forty years, since their creator passed away. Crisis arrives, of course, and the family must adjust to accommodate each other. It was a nice little story, though I don't think it would appeal to my nine year old son that much, though he could read it. I'm going to add it to my list for the girls when they get older. As a mother, the idea of a home without any need of preparing meals or cleaning up after them was extremely appealing, but the thought of the children eternally remaining the same ages was a little terrifying. (library copy)

Birdbrain Amos by Michael Delaney is a cute little book about peer pressure, friendship, and courage with a lot of laughs. First Son read it in about half an hour, but I'm going to put it on the list for First Daughter to read when she's ready for short chapter books, probably next year in first grade. (library copy)

First Shift - Legacy (Part 6 of the Silo Series) by Hugh Howey is the sixth book in the Silo series. Set in the "past," it tells of the beginning of the silos. Don't read it first, though! The end is a wonderful connection to the first books but this one will make more sense if you've read the first five. I'm really enjoying these books - so much so that I actually paid for this one to read on the Kindle and then immediately bought the seventh book when I had finished. (purchased Kindle edition)

The Moffats by Eleanor Estes is a very sweet book of the four Moffat children who live with their mother in the yellow house. (Father died many years before.) They are poor but happy. The book shares a series of events rather than an larger plot. Some stories are short and silly, some are serious adventures; all are enjoyable. In my favorite episode, young Joe loses the family's last $5 on his way to buy coal. Mother's reaction epitomizes the kind of mother I'd like to be. (Don't worry; they find the money and all is well!) This book is now high on my list for family read-alouds. If we don't read it this year, it will be early next year. (library copy)

Second Shift - Order (Part 7 of the Silo Series) by Hugh Howey is the seventh book in the Silo series. I bought it right after finishing First Shift (above) and finished it within 24 hours. I would have bought the next book immediately, too, if it had been available. (purchased for the Kindle)

The Midwife's Apprentice by Karen Cushman is the story of a young unwanted girl in medieval England who ends up as a midwife's apprentice just because the midwife finds her useful. She's ill-treated and barely fed, but somehow finds her place in the world. It's definitely a book for young adults, certainly only for those who already know how children come into the world and that not all children are born to a husband and his wife. The language is rough, too. It's engaging, though, and a good depiction of medieval life. I wouldn't read it aloud to my family, but I would allow my girls to read it when they're in high school. (First Son could, too, but I doubt he'd be interested.) (library copy)

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Isiguro is the quiet reminiscence of a women ending her career as a "carer" and about to embark on the end of her life as a "donor." The truth of her creation and childhood are never hidden but not fully revealed. Written in the 1990s, it challenges the value of scientific advancement at the expense of people. It was a little disturbing, but well-written. (library copy)

The Story of the Other Wise Man by Henry van Dyke (library copy)

Unconditional Parenting by Alfie Kohn, though I'll write more about this in January. (library copy)

Heidi by Johanna Spyri (free Kindle version)

One Body, Many Blogs by T.J. Burdock and various other Catholic bloggers talks about the roles bloggers play in Catholic New Media and includes some tips for serious bloggers. Most of them didn't apply much to my own little blog, but I thought it was interesting. (purchased for the Kindle)

Books in Progress (and date started)