Saturday, October 19, 2013

September 2013 Book Report

The Catholic Prayer Book compiled by Msgr. Michael Buckley and edited by Tony Castle
(a review for The Catholic Company)

Fairchild Family Series by Rebecca Caudill (purchased copies, three directly from the publisher, Bethlehem Books)

Poetic Knowledge by James S. Taylor (Kansas Dad's copy, which I think was a gift from a fellow professor)

Bambinelli Sunday by Amy Welborn (a review for The Catholic Company)

The Children's Homer by Padraic Colum (purchased from Sacred Heart Books and Gifts)

The Mass and the Saints by Thomas Crean, O.P. is a book I bought the spring before First Son began his First Communion preparation...so that would have been the spring of 2011. It's too bad I didn't have time to read it that year because it really did provide some insight for me into the depth of meaning of the Mass. For each part of the Mass, the author has compiled quotes from saints and doctors of the church and other theologians and early writers. It follows the Latin Mass, but I found it interesting how much applied to the new Roman Missal. I carried my copy to the pool last summer and it got wet so I can't swap it on PaperBackSwap. Let me know if you'd be interested in reading it and I'll see about getting it to you. (purchased from the publisher)

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain is a classic, of course, though not one I had read before. I am still considering it for First Son to read next year (in fifth grade) for independent reading. I think he would enjoy parts of it and there are benefits to being familiar with the story, but I have to admit I had some problems myself, in particular with the treatment of Tom's relationship with Becky Thatcher. It's unlikely First Son would notice that very much. It's probably the sort of book that appeals more to boys in general than to mothers. (free Kindle edition)

The Saint Book for Parents, Teachers, Homilists, Storytellers, and Children by Mary Reed Newland is an older book of saints. I thought it was fine, though I wouldn't give it to my children to read. There are quite a few stories that assume a knowledge of mature relationships (nothing inappropriate is mentioned, it's just not something my young children would understand yet). Overall, though, I think there are better saint books, especially for younger children, and this one can be hard to find because it's out of print. (PaperBackSwap.com)

The Catholic Mother's Helper in Training Her Children by Sister Mary, IHM, Sister Mary Roberta, OP, and Sister Mary Rosary, OP, is a series of lessons in which a mother (I suppose other caregiver as well) retells stories of the saints or from the Bible, both to impart knowledge of the Bible stories and to encourage virtuous behavior. Overall, I found the stories acceptable and easily adapted to a more modern household, if that's you're desire, but I think they are unnecessary in our home. In many ways, our Catechesis of the Good Shepherd classes do much the same thing, but I think they are even better. If, however, you do not have access to Catechesis of the Good Shepherd and want some way to bring these stories to life without creating a lot of materials yourself, this book might be a good place to start. It seems to be a little hard to find. I could probably be persuaded to share my copy if anyone local is interested in looking it over. (gifted from a former homeschooling mom)

New Lands (Chronicles of Egg #2) by Geoff Rodkey is the second in a series I started reading as a preview for First Son. This book might be even better than the first and they are both definitely on his list for summer reading next year (when he'll be between fourth and fifth grades). Egg's romantic relationship (mostly imaginary) is still outside First Son's interests, but I think he'll love the action and adventure. The friendships Egg develops are worthwhile, too. (library copy)

The Blight of Muirwood by Jeff Wheeler is also the second in a series. It's a fantasy tale of supernatural battles of good and evil and the end of the world (in Noah's sense). I think it's written for young adults, but I've enjoyed the books. I'm not pre-reading them for the children, just enjoying them as a bit of fun reading. (borrowed for free from the Kindle Owners' Lending Library)


Books in Progress (and date started)