Friday, November 27, 2015

Our Own Family's 2015 Advent Chain

Earlier this month, I shared an easy Advent activity chain for young families. I created that one with the families of my Catechesis of the Good Shepherd class in mind - simple, light-filled activities for those with 3-5 year old children. I wanted to create something a little different for my own family, partly because my children usually make the chains for the younger families and I wanted a few surprised, but also because they are eager for a bit more depth this Advent. (My oldest will turn twelve during Advent this year.)

Advent should include Scripture, which could be added to the activity chain, but we already have a Jesse Tree.

Advent should include the music of the season, but we already have a Spotify playlist of Advent music. (You can read about our playlist here, but if you want something very simple, choose the lovely Advent at Ephesus.)

Advent should include small sacrifices, but I've decided to try preparing a manger as suggested at Like Mother, Like Daughter. If there's one thing we have a lot of in Kansas in November, it's dried grass.

So our family activity chain includes prayer (the joyful mysteries and some specific pray intentions), decorating for the season of Advent (we'll switch the Christmas decorations around Christmas Day, however it fits our schedule), the feasts of the season (often the same as on the previous activity chain), and listening to some Advent stories. You can find The Juggler of Our Lady free many places line. One is here. He's Coming! is a CD by the Altar Gang.

Here's the link to the Excel file in Google docs, if you're interested.