The Ground-Breaking, Chance-Taking Life of George Washington Carver and Science and Invention in America by Cheryl Harness - link to my post (library copy)
Personal Recollections of Joan of Arc by Mark Twain - link to my post (purchased used on Amazon, and then discovered again on my shelf)
Anne of Avonlea by L. M. Montgomery - link to my post (a copy my dad bought for me when I was a little girl)
The Good Master by Kate Seredy - link to my post (requested through PaperBackSwap.com)
The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien - link to my post (purchased audiobook)
Prayer and the Will of God by Dom Hubert van Zeller - link to my post (purchased from the publisher)
The Miracle of Father Kapaun by Roy Wenzl and Travis Heying - link to my post (purchased used)
The Hiding Place by Corrie ten Bloom with Elizabeth and John Sherrill - link to my post (library copy)
Roll of Thunder, Hear my Cry by Mildred D. Taylor - I read this again in preparation for First Son's history studies next year and wrote a few journal questions. (library copy)
There's an Owl in the Shower by Jean Craighead George - I was considering this for Second Daughter, who has a great love of birds, for independent reading next year. It is the story of a family suffering when their logger father is laid off to protect spotted owls. After adopting one, they come ot respect not only owls but the devastating effects on the environment of logging. I think it would be fine if one of the kids picked it up and read it, but I didn't find it worth requiring.
The Silver Sword by Ian Serraillier - link to my post (purchased used)
Books in Progress (and date started)
- Norton Anthology of English Literature Vol. 2 (sixth edition) (August 2014)
- A Century of Sonnets edited by Feldman and Robinson (May 2017)
- A Room of One's Own by Virginia Woolf (June 2017)
- Stories of Karol by Gian Franco Svidercoschi (July 2017)
- Redwall by Brian Jacques (July 2017), listening with the family
- The Complete Ramona books by Beverly Cleary (July 2017), listening with the kids
- History's Greatest Voyages of Exploration from The Great Courses (July 2017), listening with the kids
- Great Expectations by Charles Dickens (July 2017), listening on my own
- The Endless Steppe by Esther Hautzig (July 2017)
- If All the Swords in England by Barbara Willard (July 2017)
- Enemy Brothers by Constance Savery (July 2017)
- No Fear Shakespeare: Henry V (July 2017)
- D-Day: 24 Hours that Saved the World from Time (July 2017)
- The Scent of Water by Elizabeth Goudge (July 2017)
- The Shadow of His Wings by Gereon Goldmann (July 2017)
- Caryll Houselander: Essential Writings edited by Wendy M. Wright (July 2017)
The italic print: Links to Amazon are affiliate links. As an affiliate with Amazon, I receive a small commission if you follow one of my links, add something to your cart, and complete the purchase (in that order). I like to use the little I earn on the blog to purchase birthday and Christmas gifts (usually books). Thanks! Try Audible - another affiliate link.
Links to RC History and PaperBackSwap.com are affiliate links. Other links (like those to Bethlehem Books) are not affiliate links.
These reports are my honest opinions.