Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Tasty Tuesday: Hot Cross Buns


Remember the Feast of the Triumphant Cross? It was way way way back on September 14th.* Remember now?

Well, Second Son took an afternoon nap that day. I remember, because I decided at the last minute to make some Hot Cross Buns to celebrate the feast. Not having prepared ahead, I turned to my most trusted baking cookbook: King Arthur Flour Whole Grain Baking: Delicious Recipes Using Nutritious Whole Grains (King Arthur Flour Cookbooks). (Seriously, if you read my blog with any regularity and like baking in the least and haven't checked out this book...there's just something wrong with that.)

Let me just tell you, these are just about the most delicious buns I have ever eaten. I adored them! I ate three of them! And three more the next day. (Wait, did I just admit that?)


Kansas Dad said they were good, but they would be better without the raisins. No worries, I told him, next year I'll make them with currants soaked in rum. If that doesn't want to make you try them, nothing will.

I hope no one gets too upset that I have now participated twice in Tasty Tuesday and have yet to actually post a recipe, but I have that phobia, remember? I searched and found basically the same recipe online posted by someone who knows a good cookbook when she sees one. Or, you could just go get a copy of the book from your library or favorite bookstore. These buns might just convince you to buy it. (If not, try the Sour Cream Blueberry Muffins and use the white whole wheat flour...so light and delicious and...oh, we have sour cream in the fridge and I just might have to make a batch tomorrow...if only Second Son would let me put him down without crying!)

Check out today's Tasty Tuesday post at City Wife, Country Life and be sure the read the comments for some yummy-looking fudge and caramel recipes.

* Yes, I did start this post in September. It's been sitting in draft form for over two months. And I didn't even post the recipe. I'm not a slacker, though. Really, I'm not. Really.

5 comments:

  1. Your hot cross buns look and sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL!! I'll probably get fined a few hundred thousand dollars some day for posting other people's recipes (though I'll use the fact I always attribute them with links in the plea bargain).
    This looks awesome! (and the currants soaked in rum is a reason in itself to try these)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, 21st Century Housewife.

    FCW, I doubt they care very much. The post I linked above actually had a comment from someone at King Arthur Flour. I think they're probably just happy to have people saying how wonderful the book is.

    I definitely would have used currants soaked in rum if we'd had any currants and any rum. Raisins soaked in water was the best I could do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The King Arthur cookbook is on my Amazon wish list. Your endorsements are very convincing!

    And I think with four young kids the fact that you manage to put anything on the blog (in addition to running the house, homeschooling, keeping them all cared for, and some baking and other projects) *proves* you're not a slacker!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hilary, the real question is, how well am I managing the house, homeschooling and feeding the kids? Frankly, I think some days go rather poorly, but perhaps that's to be expected with four kids under seven (and that four month old in particular).

    I hope you get the cookbook and like it! You'll have to let me know if you do.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me happy; thanks for speaking up!