Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Range Cloth Wipes Solutions

For years, I’ve been using Baby Bum Drops and Baby Bits to make a solution for my cloth wipes. (Read my comparison of them here.) A few months ago, I was inspired to try making my own. I make a lot of our cleaning solutions (complicated things like vinegar and water) so I thought it would be similar. A quick search online brings up lots of sites and recipes to try. (This site seemed particularly clear.) I read through a variety of them and then just cobbled some together with ingredients I already had on hand.

Here they are! I used some 16 ounce spray bottles. You can buy these at all kinds of stores for about $2 each, depending on how fancy you get. (I don't like to prewet my wipes; I think they get musty. I just spray each one a little right before I use it.)


I have read mixed things on using plain water for wipes. Some people say it works fine; others have said it can be irritating. I opted for oil and water solutions, one with soap and one without. You can choose the essential oils you like best, too.


Oil-Based wipes solution
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 4 drops essential oils (I use lavender.)
  • Water to fill
In a 16 ounce spray bottle, add the olive oil and essential oils. Fill with water. Shake well before use.


Castile Soap wipes solution
  •  2 tbsp olive oil
  • 2 tbsp liquid castile soap like Dr. Bonner's (which our grocery store carries)
  • 2 drops tea tree oil 
  • 2 drops essential oils (I use lavender.) 
  •  Water to fill
In a 16 ounce spray bottle, add all the ingredients and water to fill. Shake well before use.


I like to use the solution that includes soap for particularly messy diaper changes. I try to finish with a wipe of the oil-based solution to replenish natural oils that might have been washed away by the soap. I find I have to refill my solution bottles once every two to three weeks (and that's with two in diapers).

I had started with more oil, but it seemed to be staining the diapers so I've cut back. I am also careful with the tea tree oil. There seems to be conflicting reports on whether it's a good idea to put it on skin or against diapers.

I thought about doing a price comparison on purchasing the little blocks of soap to dilute, but I wasn't sure I could figure out how much a drop of essential oil would cost. The castile soap and oils do probably seem more expensive in the beginning, but a bottle of essential oil will literally last for years. I use the castile soap for most of our washing around the house (diluted) and a bottle of that also easily lasts for years. I think it's safe to say the cost of making your own wipes solution is minimal. I love using the dino pattern wipes from Kissaluv, but there are lots of sites online to find information on making your own wipes, so you could be saving a lot of money by using cloth wipes and homemade wipes solutions.

Just a reminder, if you follow any of the links above to Cloth Diaper Outlet and make a purchase, I receive a small referral.