Tuesday, October 16, 2012

My Favorite Picture Books: Where Are You Going Manyoni?

Where Are You Going, Manyoni? by Catherine Stock

I've mentioned this book on the blog before, but not as part of this series and it definitely deserves a post as one of my Favorite Picture Books.

Catherine Stock is one of my favorite illustrators. I love her double page spreads in this book of the African countryside. I love her depictions of the children playing games outside the school house. As a true artist should, she sketched and painted from life for the illustrations in this book.

The text simply describes Manyoni's journey from home to school one early morning, showing a world many of us will never see. How greatly Manyoni values her education! What I sense more than anything is her happiness. She skips and scrambles. She hurries and, finally, runs.

In addition to a lovely text and delightful illustrations, the end of the book includes a glossary and pronunciation guide for unfamiliar words and a pictorial list of wildlife included in the illustrations. This book is delightful to read, just for fun, but it provides a wonderful glimpse of life in Africa and a small study in African wildlife.